What Is uTorrent 3.0?
Micro-Sized Yet Feature Filled
uTorrent 3.0 is a very well-known and appreciated bit torrent client. Most of the features present in other BitTorrent clients are present in uTorrent, including bandwidth prioritization, scheduling, RSS auto-downloading and Mainline DHT (compatible with BitComet). Additionally, uTorrent supports the Protocol Encryption joint specification (compatible with Azureus 184.108.40.206 and above, BitComet 0.63 and above) and peer exchange.
uTorrent 3.0 includes streaming of music and videos, as well as uTorrent Web, a new encrypted WebUI that requires no configuration
As before, this is not feature complete, but many exciting new features have been added to this version: a new, encrypted webUI that doesn't require port forwarding called uTorrent Web; many improvements to the standard WebUI backend; streaming; and a new, optional (non-default) simplified UI.
uTorrent 3.0 was written with efficiency in mind. Unlike many torrent clients, it does not hog valuable system resources - typically using less than 6MB of memory, allowing you to use the computer as if it weren't there at all. Additionally, the program itself is contained within a single executable less than 220 KB in size.
Skinnable and Localized
Various icon, toolbar graphic and status icon replacements are available, and creating your own is very simple. uTorrent also has support for localization, and with a language file present, will automatically switch to your system language. If your language isn't available, you can easily add your own, or edit other existing translations to improve them!
uTorrent is the world's most popular BitTorrent client. In order to make it even better, everal experimental projects have been integrated into the new 3.0 alpha release. The latest version of the main client was supplemented with many new features including remote control and Apps, also the ability to stream video torrents was added.
uTorrent 3.0 Screenshots
uTorrent 3.0 Web (from Project Falcon 2.1) is quite an improvement from the old web client you’ll find in v2.0 and prior. The new web client has really blurred the lines between what’s web and what’s not. Unlike the prior client uTorrent Web supports RSS feeds. Another big change is that it is accessed via https://web.utorrent.com meaning you can manage your client from anywhere on the Internet using a web browser on a PC or an iPhone.
uTorrent 3.0 streaming (also from Falcon) satisfies the impatient by giving the ability to watch content before it is completely downloaded. Streaming is done through your web browser using uTorrent Web and a DivX Web Player and does so decently.
Apps for uTorrent 3.0 (from Project Griffin) is sort of an app store or market, providing web-based add-ons without adding any significant "weight" to the lightweight uTorrent client. This should expand greatly in the next month or so since they just announced a developers challenge which will run until August 13th.
uTorrent 3.0 Changelog
uTorrent 2011-01-19: Version 3.0 (build 24240)
- Fix: fixed gui.graph_overhead
- Change: limit cache size to 2000 MB (for 32 bit builds)
- Fix: attempt at fixing disappearing systray icon
- Fix: crash in Ratings tab related to adding a comment
- Change: Run apps in standard mode (not IE7 compatibility mode)
- Fix: Remove erroneous scam messagebox
- Fix: GUI hang when deleting torrent with many files
- Fix: Copy and paste in File list view fixed. (ctrl-A, ctrl-C, ctrl-V)
- Fix: miscellaneous crashes
- Fix: crash when showing the download bar
- Fix: crash while canceling btapp install
- Feature: support chunked http web seeding
uTorrent 2011-01-11: Version 3.0 (build 24120)
- Fix: don't attempt to open a file if it doesn't exist (caused association dialog to appear)
- Fix: bandwidth allocation priorities displaying improperly
- Change: only apply the port > 1023 for outgoing connection restriction for peers only hear about through the DHT
- Fix: add torrent save directory history would not be saved correctly for magnet links
- Fix: Apps did not work under Win7 in portable mode
- Fix: fix some crashes related to threaded IE frame
- Fix: convert saved ratings to the 5 star rating. Fixes a crash
- Fix: fix bug in UDP socks5 support which would cause infinite loops
- Fix: Use system call to open containing folder instead of launching explorer.exe (when available)
uTorrent 2011-01-03: Version 3.0 (build 24023)
- Fix: Don't connect to ports < 1024 when no-connect-to-services is enabled (which it is by default)
- Fix: don't ask user to rate torrent when deleting
- Fix: privacy checkbox in general settings would have multiline text
- Change: add port 80 and 443 to the default port block list